Smoke Free Policy
The Essendon Royals Soccer Club recognises that passive smoking is hazardous to health and those non-smoking club members and visitors have the right to be protected from exposure to tobacco smoke. Accordingly, the following policy shall apply to all club facilities, functions, meetings and activities undertaken by the club and will apply to all members, officials, players and club visitors. The Club also must comply with Victorian State Government Legislation and must be in compliance with the ban on smoking during organised underage sporting events. Smoking is banned within 10 metres of a sporting venue and includes training or practice sessions or organised underage sporting events as well as breaks or intervals during the course of the event, training or practice session.
All club facilities are to be completely smoke free and shall include:
- The club rooms, any social rooms inclusive of any bar, kitchen, canteen, meeting room, toilets and storage area
- Player change rooms inclusive of warm up area, toilets and showers, medical room and property room.
Cigarettes will not be sold (including vending machines) at any time at or by the club.
Players, Officials & Coaches
Coaches, players, trainers, volunteers and officials will refrain from smoking and remain smoke free while involved in an official capacity for the club, on and off the field.
All club functions including social and fund raising events and meetings are to be completely smoke free.
All club functions held away from the club facilities are to be completely smoke free and should require an assurance from the venue management of compliance with the club policy.
All club committee members will enforce the smoke free policy and any non-compliance will be handled according to the following process:
- Explanation of the club policy to the person/people concerned, including identification of the areas in which smoking is permitted
- Continued non-compliance with the policy should be handled by at least two committee members who will use their discretion as to the action taken, which may include asking the person/ people to leave the club facilities or function.
The club will promote the alcohol management policy regularly by:
- Publishing a copy of the policy on the club website
- Ad hoc announcements in emails, newsletters and on noticeboards
- Signage at club facilities
- Keeping a copy of the policy at the club rooms
The club recognises the importance of educating club members, particularly players, of the benefits of implementing a smoke free policy and will endeavour to provide information to assist this process.