Junior Team Rotation Policy
We believe that football (soccer) should be safe, enjoyable, and inclusive and maximise individual participation. Essendon Royals acknowledges that positive experiences in junior competition will contribute to children developing a lifelong love of football.
What we will do
- Emphasise to coaches and parents that junior sport is about participation, not competition.
- Try to match junior players with others of their own ability (e.g. if there are enough players, have two teams in an age division).
- Provide junior players with a broad range of experiences (e.g. participating in different positions).
- Provide equal playing time for all juniors, regardless of their ability.
- Consider boys and girls under 12 years of age playing on the same team, particularly if a team could not otherwise be fielded and rules have been modified.
- Ensure that all team members play in cup competitions.
What we ask you to do
- Focus on promoting participation, not winning and losing.
- Ensure all team members have the chance to play, rotate through positions and receive equal playing time.
- If you coach your own children, treat them like all other team members (e.g. rotations, playing time or participation).
- Help out the coach where possible at training and games.
- Focus on your child’s effort and performance, not the score.
- Encourage your child and other team members.
- Respect the selection decisions of the coach.